ATMW Chevalley Groups (2013)
|Dates:||13th to 25th May, 2013|
|Convener(s)||Speakers, Syllabus and Time table||Applicants/Participants|
|Name||Anupam Kumar Singh||Shripad M. Garge|
|Mailing Address||IISER Pune, Central tower, Sai Trinity building,
Pashan circle, Sutarwadi,
Pune. 411 021.
|Department of Mathematics, IIT Mumbai, Powai,
Mumbai. 400 076
Brief Description of the Workshop:
Lie Theory is one of the important branches of mathematics. Towards this, an AIS was organised earlier (July 2011) in CMI where classification of the finite dimensional Lie algebras was done. The school also introduced some follow up topics such as Chevalley groups and Kac-Moody Lie algebras. The aim of the proposed workshop is to learn about Chevalley groups in detail.In 1955, Chevalley in his seminal paper `Sur certains groupes simples’ constructed certain groups starting from semisimple Lie algebras. The idea allowed him to construct certain algebraic groups over arbitrary fields and the F_q points of these groups turned out to be related to (finite) simple groups. The work of Chevalley was further generalised by Steinberg in 1959, ‘Variations on a theme of Chevalley’. Here he discovered many previously unknown finite simple groups.Chevalley groups are examples of algebraic groups defined over a base field. In fact, they constitute all semisimple algebraic groups over an algebraically closed field and all semisimple quasi-split groups over a base field. Thus the theory of Chevalley groups helps to understand algebraic groups better via some explicit examples.In another path breaking paper, `Générateurs, relations et revêtements de groupes algébriques’, Steinberg described presentations of Chevalley groups and their central extensions, which led to the definition of K_2 by Milnor thus opening a whole new chapter in K-theory.
Syllabus and Lecturer
Prerequisites : Finite dimensional simple Lie algebras, root systems.
Syllabus : Steinberg: Lectures on Chevalley Groups.
1. Lie Algebra - Humphreys
2. Lie Algebra - Erdman and Wildon
3. Simple Groups of Lie Type - Carter
4. Groups over Z - Bertram Kostant
1.Anuradha Garge, CBS Mumbai. (Preliminary lectures: Appendix and Ch. 1, 2)
2.Shripad Garge, IIT Mumbai. (Basic theory of Chevalley groups, Ch. 3, 4)
3.B. Sury, ISI Bengaluru. (K-theory of Chevalley groups, Ch. 6, 7)
4.K. N. Raghavan, IMSc Chennai. (Chevalley groups as algebraic groups, Ch. 5, 8)
5. R. P. Shukla, Allahabad University. (Orders, isomorphisms and automorphisms ofChevalley groups, Ch. 9, 10)
6. Maneesh Thakur, ISI Delhi. (Twisted Chevalley groups, Ch. 11)
7. Upendra Kulkarni, CMI Chennai. (Representations of Chevalley groups, Ch. 12, 13, 14)
1. M. S. Raghunathan ( congruence subgroup problem)
1.Anuradha Ahuja, IIT Mumbai.
2.Anirban Bose, ISI Delhi.
3.Pratyusha Chattopadhyay, Munchen.
4.Preena Samuel, CMI Chennai.
Typical daily schedule:
|Lecture 1||Lecture 2||Tutorial||Extra lecture (if needed)|
- All candidates are default selected for the conference.
- The selected participants will be provided AC III train fare from their hometown/workplace to pune and back for the shortest route.
- We request you to reserve your tickets quickly. You can plan to arrive on 12th May 2013 and leave on 26th evening (after 5PM) or 27th morning.
- We will be happy if you confirm your participation latest by 15 March 2013 by sending an email to chevalleygroupsATgmail.com with subject line as 'confirmation'.
List of Selected Participatnts:
- Ms. Shraddha Srivastava, CMI Chennai
- Mr. Muna Naik, NISER
- Mr. Sarjick Bakshi, CMI Chennai
- Ms. Mitra Koley, CMI Chennai
- Ms. Ambily A A, ISI Bangalore
- Mr. Viswambhara Makam, CMI
- Mr. Rahul Gupta, IIT Delhi
- Ms. Dilpreet Kaur, IISER Mohali
- Dr. Brajesh Kumar Sharma, University of Allahabad
- Mr. Shiv Parsad, IISER Mohali
- Mr. Sudipta Kolay, CMI Chennai
- Mr. Laxmi Kant Mishra, University of Allahabad
- Mr. Neeraj Sangwan, IISER Mohali
- Ms. Neha Hooda, ISI Delhi
- Mrs. Radhika Mariyil Mohanachandran, IIT Mumbai
- Mr. Ojas Ravikant Sahasrabudhe, IIT Mumbai
- Mr. Vipul Kakkar, University of Allahabad
- Dr. Kumar Balasubramanian, IISER Bhopal
- Mr. Vineeth Chintala, TIFR Mumbai
- Ms. Manjuraj S, University of Hyderabad
- Ms. Saudamini Nayak, NIT Rourkela
- Ms. Rekha Biswal, IMSc Chennai
- Dr. Binod Kumar Sahoo, NISER
- Mr. Suraj Krishna M S, University of Hyderabad
- Ms. Mandava Navya Teja, University of Hyderabad
- Ms. Deevi Havisha, University of Hyderabad
- Mr. Susobhan Mazumdar, IIT Chennai
- Ms. Anuradha Ahuja, IIT Mumbai
- Mr. Anirban Bose, ISI Delhi
- Dr. Pratyusha Chattopadhyay, Technical University of Kaiserslautern / ISI kolkata
- Dr. Preena Samuel, CMI Chennai
- Dr. Vivek Mohan Mallick, IISER Pune
- Mr. Punya Plaban Satpathy, IISER Pune
- Mrs. Ketki Kiran Kher, Symbiosis College of Arts and Commerce, Pune
- Ms. Manidipa Pal, IISER Pune
- Mr. Sushil Bhunia, IISER Pune
- Dr. Rabeya Basu, IISER Pune
- Dr. Anisa M H Chorwadwala, IISER Pune
- Ms. Yasmeen Shameem Akhtar, IISER Pune
- Prof. Anuradha Garge, CBS Mumbai
- Prof. Shripad Garge, IIT Mumbai
- Prof. B. Sury, ISI Bengaluru
- Prof. K. N. Raghavan, IMSc Chennai
- Prof. R. P. Shukla, Allahabad University
- Prof. Maneesh Thakur, ISI Delhi
- Prof. Upendra Kulkarni, CMI Chennai
- Prof. Anupam Kumar Singh, IISER Pune